We asked Izelle to contribute a recipe for our celebration of Bread & Salt theme this month and in true inimitable Izelle style, she’s come up with a scrumptiously unique twist to an old idea: Banana Bread gets a complete make-over with these 12 divinely delicious muffins: made with butternut, banana, sweetened with honey and dates and as an added bonus, gluten-free!
Get baking! (We did, immediately!)
Butternut Banana Bread Muffins
Makes 12 Muffins
Use 2 x Non-stick or silicone muffin pans as well as non-stick spray
- 6 whole eggs and 6 egg whites
- 500g diced butternut (steamed soft in microwave then mash)
- 3 medium bananas (need to be perfectly ripe in order to mash easily, the riper the more flavour)
- 6 heaped table spoons of almond flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon caramel essence
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1 table spoon olive oil
- 1 heaped table spoon of honey melted in a teaspoon of hot water or in the microwave
- 1g Oryx Desert Salt
- 12 fresh dates
- Pre-heat the oven to 190° C
- Steam butternut by cutting the 1 corner of the packet and placing it in the microwave for 10-12min. The butternut must be completely soft and easy to mash
- Mash 3 bananas and the steamed butternut together.
- Add the ground almond, salt, essences, olive oil and vanilla powder together then mix well.
- Melt the honey and add to the mixture
- Whisk the eggs in a separate mixing bowl till light and fluffy, add to themixture, and mix till smooth
- Spoon the mixture into a greased muffin pan and top with sliced banana, date, honey and vanilla powder
- Bake for 20 – 25min at 190C
- Set aside to cool on a cooling rack.